Saturday, August 01, 2009

Where was the Camera!!!

Our town has really revived it's downtown area in the short time we've lived here. I cannot tell you how happy this makes me because I think it's so sad when you see cities whose downtown areas are virtually ghost towns. One thing they've done to attract downtown business is move the farmer's market to the sidewalks outside the shops on Tuesday/Saturday mornings. We decided to go in support of this, so in spite of the rain, we headed to downtown for some fresh produce. Once we parked and got the stroller situation ready to go, I smelled a stench that was so foul it could knock you over! There was no question what had occurred in someones britches, so Jason volunteered to do the honors and change him. We carefully laid out the disposable changing pad and proceeded to pull out half a package of wipes. He opened the diaper and hurried to clean him off when the "soft serve" started coming out all over the place. Jason was (oh so nicely...yeah right) telling me to hurry and get him more wippies when it started "raining" in the car...all over the console, seat, floor mat, outfits, and even in my poor baby's ear! YUCK!!!! This would have made the perfect picture illustrating the importance of being careful when changing a baby boy diaper!

We love our passed down clothes!!!

Last weekend, Kim gave me some of James' things he's outgrown. I am so happy to have the littlest guy of the bunch since we benefit from it in such ways. I thought this outfit was so cute! It says "Everywhere a neigh, neigh" on the front and has a mane and tail on the back! Too precious for words!

Safety Town 2009


We had another successful year for Safety Town. We had 120 kiddos participate this year to prepare them to enter kindergarten. I took John Hall, Luke, and Maddie everyday and I think they all enjoyed their time this past week. Tonya and I worked the adult snack room since we both couldn't do much else because our little guys had to tag along. JH would take about a three hour nap each day when we got home...It wore him out! We had a little graduation ceremony and I was asked to read a poem. I shouldn't have agreed to read it, because I got a little teary eyed in front of the crowd. (I dread the day I have to send my little guy off to school...I can't even begin to think about it!) It's just so sweet...(Kristen posted this on her blog before Sam went to kindergarten so some of you may have seen this before...here it is:
The Night Before Kindergarten
by Natasha Wing

‘Twas the night before kindergarten and as they prepared,
kids were excited and a little bit scared.

They tossed and they turned about in their beds,
while visions of school supplies danced in their heads.

Erasers and crayons and pencils galore
were stuffed in their backpacks and set by the door.

Outfits were hung in closets with care,
knowing that kindergarten soon would be there.

In the morning it came – school starts today!
Would the teacher be nice? Would they still get to play?

Faces were washed, and teeth were brushed white;
Kids posed for pictures with eyes sparkling bright.

Parents packed snacks and kids hopped in cars
As if they were boarding a spaceship to Mars.

Some kids brought blankets or their favorite stuffed bear;
in hopes they could nap like they did in day care.

Their parents exclaimed: “You’re big kids – WOW!
Let us hold your bears and blankies for now.”

The parents were worried their children would cry
if they left them at school with just a good-bye.

So they told their darlings, “If you want, we can stay
and make sure that everything will be A-okay”
The teacher then greeted each one with a smile,
and invited the students to stay for a while.

The room was all filled with toys, books, and maps,
but where were the beds for midmorning naps?

They colored and painted and played Simon Says,
then tumbled and skipped and stood on their heads.

They sang silly songs from beginning to end.
Within just a minute, each kid had a friend.

The children were happy. They loved Miss Sunrise
It was she who was in for a giant surprise.

When what to her wondering eyes should appear
but sad moms and dads who were holding back tears!

Their noses – so sniffly! Their eyes – red and wet!
This was the saddest good-bye Miss Sunrise had seen yet!

She gathered the grown-ups on the magical rug,
then sent them away after one final hug.

The children all waved from the door of the school.
“Don’t cry, Mom and Dad; kindergarten is cool!”

Daddy's Home!

Here's the first thing he does when walks in the door...I hear..."how's the buddy doing?" I think they're both equally happy to see each other at the end of the day.

Man, I can stand!!!
He loves this little exercise when he pulls up while I hold his hands. I think he loves looking at things from an upright perspective. (yes, he is once again in his diaper! I promise I keep him in clothes 98% of the time!)
Who will it be???
***Where have I been???!!! We have gotten into this season of the Next Food Network Star. This is the 5th season, but first one we've ever watched. I'm so excited because my two favorites made it to the final which will air tomorrow night. I guess between the two left, I would go with Melissa over Jeffrey...she's not a cooking professional but can hold her own, she's southern, and a mom...all things I think would make for a good cooking show.


And finally, a few pictures from another little photo session. I am certain I can't have enough pictures of my little John Hall!!! :)